Taking MultiChain streams to a whole new level
Today we’re delighted to share the first preview release of MultiChain 2.0, which implements one major part of the MultiChain 2.0 roadmap published earlier this year – a richer data model for streams.
Streams have proven to be a popular feature in MultiChain, providing a natural abstraction for general purpose data storage and retrieval on a blockchain. A MultiChain chain can contain any number of named streams, each of which can have individual write permissions or be open for writing by all. In MultiChain 1.0, each stream item has one or more publishers (who sign it), an optional key for efficient retrieval, a binary data payload up to 64 MB in size, and a timestamp derived from the block in which it’s embedded.
This preview release of MultiChain 2.0, numbered alpha 1, takes streams functionality to a whole new level:
- JSON items. As an optional alternative to raw binary data, stream items can now contain any JSON structure, which is stored on the blockchain in the efficient UBJSON serialization format. Since the MultiChain API already uses JSON throughout, these JSON structures can be read and written in a natural and obvious way.
- Text items. Stream items may also contain Unicode text, stored efficiently on the blockchain in UTF-8 encoding. Text items can also be read and written directly via the MultiChain API.
- Multiple keys. Each stream item can now have multiple keys instead of only one. This enables much more flexible schemes for tagging, indexing and retrieval.
- Multiple items per transaction. Multiple items can now be written to the same stream in a single atomic transaction. This allows multiple stream items to: (a) be naturally grouped together under a single transaction ID, (b) take up less space on the blockchain and (c) require fewer signature verifications.
- JSON merging. There are new APIs to summarize the items in a stream with a particular key or publisher. The first type of summary offered is a merge of all of the JSON objects in those items. The outcome of the merge is a new object containing all the JSON keys from the individual objects, where the value corresponding to each JSON key is taken from the last item in which that key appears. The merge can be customized in various ways, e.g. to control whether sub-objects are merged recursively and if null values should be included.
The purpose of JSON merging is to enable a stream to serve as a flexible database for applications built on MultiChain, with the stream key or publisher (as appropriate) acting as a “primary key” for each database entry. The advantage over a regular database is that the stream contains a fully signed and timestamped history of how each entry was changed over time, with the blockchain securing this history immutably through multiparty consensus.
As in previous versions, each node can freely decide which streams to subscribe to, or can subscribe to all streams automatically. If a node is subscribed to a stream, it indexes that stream’s content in real time, allowing efficient retrieval by publisher, key, block, timestamp or position – and now summarization by key or publisher.
Aside from stream items, MultiChain 2.0 alpha 1 also supports JSON and text in raw transaction metadata, as alternatives to the raw binary data supported in MultiChain 1.0.
Finally, this release allows the custom fields of issued assets and created streams to contain any JSON object, instead of the text-only key/value pairs offered in MultiChain 1.0. For forwards compatibility, MultiChain 1.0.2 includes the ability to read (but not write) these richer asset and stream custom fields.
To try out these new features, visit the MultiChain 2.0 preview releases page and download alpha 1. The page also provides detailed documentation on the new APIs and parameters available.
We’d love to hear your feedback on this new functionality. And of course we’re already hard at work on the next major set of enhancements for MultiChain 2.0, scheduled for release early next year.
Please post any comments on LinkedIn.
Bitcoin to Surpass $20,000 ATH By Early 2021 According to Raul Pal
Former hedge fund manager and CEO of Real Vision, Raoul Pal, believes that the real impact of the COVID-19 pandemic is about to reach the financial markets. By outlining several upcoming cornerstones among traditional financial assets, he highlighted Bitcoin as the “life raft” in this situation.
Raoul Pal: Everything Has Changed
In a recent Twitter thread, the Wall Street veteran outlined the rapidly growing COVID-19 cases worldwide. The total number of infected has neared 45 million, while the death toll is almost 1,2 million.
Pal predicted that these rising numbers in Europe, the US, and Canada are about to “exert economic pressures and extinguish the Hope phase of reflation dreams.” He believes that the upcoming consequences will harm the economy even more than the early 2020 developments. A real economic recovery “will take more than a post-election stimulus in January.”
He continued by looking at several markets that have started to feel the adverse consequences and have fallen to long-term support levels. Those included the oil price, Spain’s benchmark stock market index – the IBEX 35, the EU Banks Index, the euro, the British pound, the US dollar, and more.
As such, he broached a few possible solutions – “you can buy bonds and dollars, or you can take the life raft – Bitcoin.”
“Or, to dampen the volatility of a risk-off event (we can and will see sharp BTC corrections), you can have all three for a near-perfect portfolio for this phase.” – Pal concluded.
Bitcoin Will Eat The World And Price Predictions From Pal
Pal further highlighted his positive views on Bitcoin by saying the cryptocurrency “will eat the world.” He attributed it to its performance, which is so dominant and so “all-encompassing” that it will “suck in every single asset narrative dry and spit it out.”
“Never before in my career have I seen a trade so dominant that holding any other assets makes almost no sense.”
As far as price predictions go, Pal said that $14,000 is the only resistance left in Bitcoin’s way to the all-time high at $20,000. He expects that BTC should overcome the December 2017 high by “early next year at the latest.”
Additionally, CryptoPotato recently reported an even more optimistic and long-term forecast. By using a regression on the logarithmic chart since inception, Pal brought up a model that sees Bitcoin reaching $1 million by 2025.
Featured Image Courtesy of BusinessInsider
Coinbase Launches A Crypto Debit Card With 1% Reward on Bitcoin Spendings
- The largest US-based cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase announced today the launch of a Visa debit card, allowing customers to spend digital assets for everyday purchases.
- According to the official statement, the Coinbase Card will provide clients the opportunity to earn up to 4% back in cryptocurrency rewards.
- It will be available in nearly 30 countries, including the US, the UK, and across Europe. It will be connected to customers’ Coinbase accounts, and they can spend the funds without having to move funds to their bank accounts.
- The designated cryptocurrency asset spent by users will be automatically converted to US dollars prior to completing the purchase or the ATM withdrawal.
- The rewards will be available for US-based customers only initially and will depend on the cryptocurrency used. For instance, customers can get 1% back if they spend bitcoins and 4% back if they choose Stellar Lumens (XLM).
- The Coinbase app will serve as a fund manager. All spendings, reward details, and preferences will be manageable through the app.
- US customers can start applying to receive the card through the exchange’s app or the website. The first approved clients will be announced “this winter,” and they can start spending with a virtual card. The physical one will be delivered within two weeks.
Bitcoin-Friendly Avanti Receives License to be The Second Crypto Bank in The US
Now the United States can boast a new crypto bank: Welcome Avanti.
Avanti Financial Group, a firm founded by the former managing director at Morgan Stanley, Caitlin Long, announced that it had been granted a license to offer banking services by the Wyoming State Banking Board.
Avanti is The Second Crypto-bank Operating in the United States
With this decision, Avanti becomes the second crypto company to receive a banking license after the crypto exchange Kraken was also authorized by the Wyoming State Banking Board.
This license allows Avanti to offer financial services in the same way that a traditional bank would, only that these are in addition to the crypto services already provided by the platform.
According to Avanti, the application in the state of Wyoming was key to meeting its expectations —just like Kraken did— as it is the only state in the country that has a regulator with a bank supervisory and regulatory program for digital assets mature enough to ensure the operations of a banking platform that offers risk-free custody services.
Currently the only type of U.S. financial institution that can provide final and simultaneous settlement of trades between digital assets and the U.S. dollar-because it is the only type currently approved to handle both within the same legal entity-is a Wyoming special purpose depository institution like Avanti.
Blockchain and Banking Working Together
Avanti said in a tweet that the first crypto product the company will launch will be a stablecoin pegged to the dollar and backed by physical deposits made to its bank accounts. The token will be called Avit and will be available for its customers in the first quarter of 2021.
AVANTI IS OFFICIALLY A BANK! Our charter & business plan were approved 8-0 today, incl. #Avit (a tokenized US dollar, which we announced we’ll issue initially on #Liquid (#Bitcoin sidechain) & #Ethereum. Open for commercial customers early Q1. More here:https://t.co/CgNazN08zV
— Avanti Bank & Trust (@AvantiBT) October 28, 2020
Avanti revealed that Avit tokens will run on Ethereum – a critical blockchain for those seeking to take advantage of programmable smart contracts – and Liquid – a Bitcoin sidechain developed by Blockstream for those seeking to benefit from inter-exchange transfers for arbitrage operations.
Avanti had previously confirmed its collaboration with Blockstream to develop this token, explaining that it would not be like a normal crypto-currency and that it would be “just bank money that happens to be issued on a blockchain.” So it may look more like JPM Coin than the famous USDT.
Caitlin Long promised that Avanti “will provide products and services that do not exist in the market today. They did not refer to what they had in mind, so we can only hope.
There has been a lot of activity around cryptocurrency and financial services with blockchain technology in the United States. After MicroStrategy announced a major investment in Bitcoin, Square revealed a $50 million investment in BTC. Also, PayPal started providing support for cryptocurrencies and JP Morgan started using its own cryptocurrency commercially days after it talked about Bitcoin’s potential to triple its price.
Most of these announcements helped boosting BTC’s price. Will this have a bullish effect too?
Blockchain1 month ago
Bitcoin price volatility expected as 47% of BTC options expire next Friday
Blockchain2 months ago
Market Wrap: Bitcoin’s Powell-Induced Price Swing; Ethereum Still High on Gas
Blockchain1 month ago
Bitcoin Bouncing From Bull Market Support Points To 2021 As The Year Of Crypto
Blockchain2 months ago
Blockchain Bites: Is DeFi an Inside Deal?
Blockchain1 month ago
Ethereum: Is the HODLing in yet?
Blockchain1 month ago
Hackers Have Been Trying To Crack Bitcoin Wallet Worth $750 Million But Here’s The Catch
Blockchain1 month ago
YFI Founder Puts Himself Forward for Uniswap (UNI) Delegation Duties
Blockchain3 months ago
Wealthfront Lures Millenials With Crypto Memes and Tactics