Posted on 13th May 2022 by hstebbings1
Ravi Viswanathan is the Founder & Managing Partner at NewView Capital. Today with over $2.2BN AUM, Ravi has built a portfolio including Plaid, Duolingo, Hims & Hers, MessageBird, and Scopely. Prior to founding NVC, Ravi was a General Partner at NEA, where he co-led the firm’s fintech investment practice and made investments in Braintree (acquired by PayPal), MuleSoft (acquired by Salesforce) and Plaid to name a few.
In Today’s Episode with Ravi Viswanathan:
1.) Entry Into Venture:
- How Ravi made his way into the world of venture with NEA?
- What led Ravi to spin out of NEA and raise $1.3BN for the debut NewView fund?
- How did seeing the multiple booms and busts impact Ravi’s mindset investing today?
2.) Impact on Seed and Series A:
- What is the impact of the current market on the seed ecosystem?
- Why does Ravi believe we could and will see price inflation at the earlier stages?
- How does Ravi advise early-stage founders when it comes to managing runway and burn?
3.) Impact on Growth:
- How does the current macro environment impact the growth landscape today?
- How does Ravi reflect on his own price sensitivity? Why will this landscape be some of the best times to invest? Where is Ravi most excited?
- How does Ravi assess the difference between efficiency and capital-driven growth?
4.) Secondaries and M&A:
- How does Ravi believe the secondary market will be impacted?
- Why will more and more of the best seed and early funds engage in secondaries?
- How does Ravi advise managers on sizing the right amount to take off the table when selling?
- How does Ravi expect the private company to private company M&A market to change?
- Why is this change in the M&A market so exciting?